Showcase 2018 Running Order
Humans are social creatures. Sharing stories was the way we imparted knowledge and passed on skills. We all benefit from sharing success and learning from failures. This is exactly why we created the Showcase when Leeds Digital Festival launched in 2016. It has become one of the foundations of our line-up each year and we take delight in sourcing speakers - reaching out to friends and colleagues, collaborators and co-conspirators. The aim has always been to promote the exceptional quality and diversity of the digital and data community in Leeds (and sometimes beyond).
We can also challenge perceptions a little bit. The term 'data' conjures up stories of misuse of personal data or breaches in security. But data is much more than that.
- helping sportspersons improve their abilities and monitor their wellbeing
- improving people's health and wellbeing using IoT
- listing the best pubs and bars in Leeds for good atmosphere
- measuring the success of digital and tech companies in Leeds
- using Raspberry Pi's to weigh train carriages for a better idea of how busy they are
- showing what else could have been built instead of a(nother) car park in Leeds
- real-time bus tracking and journey times
- a smartphone-based app to count traffic using the built-in camera then work out emissions
- finding that Leeds was a hotspot for Vikings because of all the 'garths' in street names
The list could go on forever. If you are just dipping your toe into the world of data or digital and want to see the great and good that can be done with it, the Showcase should be your first port of call. Tickets are still available via Eventbrite.
Without further ado, here is our line-up of speakers for the Showcase on Monday 16 April.
|10:00||Paul Connell - ODI Leeds||Welcome and Introduction|
|10:15||Paul Connell - ODI Leeds||Update: Past, Present and Future|
|10:30||Tina Davies - NHS Analytics|
|10:45||David Beardmore - Open Data Institute||The Open Data Institute - who, what, why|
|11:00||Emma Bearman - Playful Anywhere||Let's play!|
|11:15||Peter Laflin / Jim Moran - Jaywing Intelligence||Mapping the IoT|
|11:30||Lisa Jeffries - Leeds Service Jam / Gov Jam||This is why we jam!|
|11:45||Stephen B, Steve J, Simon G - Leeds CC, Bradford MDC, Calderdale||Collaboration - what and where is the demand?|
|12:00||Emma R, Richard N - OpenActive|
|12:15||Tom Denwood - NHS Digital|
|12:30||Matt M - Leeds Live|
|14:00||Stuart Lowe - ODI Leeds||Data projects|
|14:15||Tom Forth - ODI Leeds||Locally Relevant 2|
|14:30||Neil McClure - ODI Leeds||ODI Leeds: Transport|
|14:45||Anneka Lawson - RAC Foundation||Data to Inform|
|15:00||Sarah Tulip - aql|
|15:15||Danny Hart - Geolytix|
|15:30||Fanny Goldschmidt - OpenDataSoft||Open Data Stories You've Never Heard Of|
|15:45||Paul Connell - Data City||The Data City|
*Times are approximate and subject to change on the day
IBM have returned for another year as a headline sponsor! Their sponsorship covers the space for the 2 weeks of Leeds Digital Festival, helping us to make the space comfortable for everyone and keeping everyone fed and watered with delicious fayre from local food traders.